Monday, August 4, 2014
I'm a private person.
Sure, I have like 10 blogs and I share a lot, but for the most part, I keep my private life private.

Not many people know that I have returned to work.
I have been working for the past 2 months and I do enjoy being out of the house and bringing in some money.

Now, as you all well know, I'm a breastfeeding mother. 
Breastfeeding for me ranks way up there with breathing and changing your underwear on a daily basis.
How do working moms continue to breastfeed?
They pump!

Ugly pump and it's parts

I was blessed with a nice supply of breastmilk for both my son when he was a bay and my daughter who is currently still nursing. I also have always had the incredible support of my husband who would do all the housework, cook on top of working full time, so that I could breastfeed my babies every 1 hour or so on demand.
Breastfeeding had it's hurdles at first, but it came naturally to me. It was easy.

Pumping on the other hand, it's super hard!
There are extra steps to take.
You must sanitize the parts first. Everything has to remain dry afterwards or mold can easily form.
Pumping by hand is out of the question, it takes sooooooo long and your hands start twitching from the strain soon after.
If you have an electrical pump, things are a bit easy.

Pumping at work is a whole 'nother story.
First, there is the uncomfortable talk you must have with your supervisors. Women are usually more understanding. Men, specially the single ones, get a bit flustered when you tell them that you are lactating and will need an appropriate place and suitable time to pump breastmilk.

I take my pump to work every single time. It's this not so good looking bag that is clunky and has a strap that is too short. The motor takes most of the space of the bag. There is barely any room for bottle storage, let alone my wallet.
I have to pump at least every 4 hours. Every three hours would be ideal, but I can stretch it to 4 before I start hurting.
Still, I take the time to do it because it's what's for MY child.
I only work part-time, so it's not so bad.
But I think about the women who work full time. 
It is a huge sacrifice, it is a huge commitment as well.
But they do it, and I applaud them.

It would be easier to just wean Sophia from the breast. At the very least, it would be easier to just give her formula while I'm gone and just breastfeed her night.
Sure, it would be easier, but it would not be best for MY child.
I emphasize the word "MY" because I want to make the point that what is best for my baby, may not be the best for others.

Sure, I would love to not have to bring the pump with me, and I would love to have a full 45 minutes to eat a meal at work, or to have my 15 minute breaks to just sit and relax. But I do this because I can. I can tough it out and complain about it when I get home. 
Nevertheless, I made a commitment the day my daughter was born. I made it to her, and I made it to myself. I would breastfeed her for as long as she is interested in breastfeeding.

Whenever I come home and put the bottles of pumped breastmilk in the freezer, I start feeling negative about the whole ordeal.
As soon as I enter the room and find my perfectly chubby munchkin greeting me with the most beautiful smile ever, I renew my commitment to keep on doing it.
How could I not?
She is worth it.

Perfectly perfect breastfed baby

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I didn't know you had gone back to work. She is so precious, and I totally support what you're doing.

Contributors

Followers