Tuesday, October 6, 2009
So I have this seasonal job right, and I do this every year. This year will be my third.
I enjoy this job, it gives me great satisfaction to know that what I do brings happiness to so many.
It's not your typical seasonal job let me tell you. No, I'm not a cashier in a department store, and no, I'm not a sales clerk either.
I'm an elf.
Yes, you read correctly, I'm an elf.
Every Christmas Santa Claus gets his list ready and calls upon his "little" helpers to aide him in the preparations that we've all known since we were kids. He checks that list, twice I might add, he figures out who's naughty or nice and all that jazz. Then, when all is ready, he goes over to Macy's in Herald Square Ny to be visited by thousands of kids.
I'm not kidding, I am an elf. It is a job title. Regular people like you and me can actually become Santa's helpers, well maybe not everyone but you get the picture.

I happened upon this job three years ago. I was in desperate need of money and I told myself I would get a job before Christmas even if it was just temporary. I saw and add online in Macys.com, it didn't say anything about elves but it said it involved dealing with large crowds of people. When I got called in for the interview there were a few people there, it was a group interview. They led us into a red room with holiday decorations on the roof. Wow! I loved it, it was beautiful and I began to understand what was going on.
"Who here believes in Santa?" the hiring manager asked. All but one person raised their hand.
They explained what the job was about and what we would be doing.
Needless to say, all but that one person got hired for the job.

So what does an elf do you might ask? Well for one we look after Santa. Santa requires a few elves to aide him with his visits. One of us brings the excited kids to see him, another one helps them sit on his lap and another takes the picture. Sometimes we are scattered around the maze to cheer people on in their long wait to see the big guy. It takes a special kind of person to do this job, in some way you have to believe in Santa, not really believe in him but what he represents. Your face must show that you have Christmas spirit and above all you have to have patience.
I guess that's why I've been invited to do this for a third year. Not everyone gets invited back you know. One of the perks of doing this too is that you get to participate in the Thanksgiving parade if you wish to.

So there you have it guys, a Christmas elf I shall be this holiday season. So why don't you come by and see us? It starts the day after thanksgiving on Macy's in Herald square. If you do come by don't forget to ask for me. My name is Peaches.

0 comments:

Contributors

Followers