Friday, June 28, 2013

When I was around 16 years old, my friend came out to me.
He sat me down on a park bench near my house, he said he wanted to tell me something but wasn't sure how I would react.
I sat there, knowing exactly what he wanted to say. I knew what he was going to say, there was no question about it.
He told me he was gay.

I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to say it. I was one of his very good friends and the thought of losing me because of his sexual orientation must have frightened him.

I looked at him and said "and?"
He looked confused, and then told me that most people would judge.
I told him I wouldn't, the fact that he was gay didn't change the way I viewed him.
He was still as funny, charming, and crazy as he was 10 minutes ago before he uttered those words.
I also told him that I knew he was gay, but I never touched the subject because it's none of my business and it wouldn't matter anyways, he would still be my friend.

I don't know how I came to the realization that gay people are just people. I know there is a lot of prejudice from others and I don't understand it. All I know is that since I can remember, gay, straight, bi or whatever other orientation people associate with, does not change the person. People are people, period.
I think some of it stems from my bible studies. No, I'm not religious at all, but I love to read, and the bible is a book you know?
To me, the bible is a wonderful book filled with stories and lessons. There are tons of things people don't agree with with, but as with any book, you don't have to like everything it says. It's what you take from it that matters.
I was always fascinated by Genesis, it was wonderful to read how everything began from a religious point of ivew. It never ceases to amaze me. I was also intrigued by Revelations. It scared the crap out of me but I couldn't stop reading!
One of my favorite passages though, comes from the book of Corinthians. When I first read it, I couldn't believe I was reading the bible.
Let me show you what I mean:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 4 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

 Love is love people. It doesn't matter what sex you are. Just because a man may love another man, does not make their love less than mine for my husband. Their love is genuine, their love is pure and everyone understands love. At one time or another we have felt it, and you know that love is something we can't control. Love is an unstoppable force with its own mind. It takes us places so high up that you forget you're even human. How can we judge it? We cannot!
I'm not gay, but I am a firm supporter of the LGBT community. Whenever someone brings up the subject (ahem, family...) of gay being wrong, I always try to educate them on the subject. You don't have to like it, but you do have to respect it. Plain and simple.

Any who, enough with my ramblings, love thy neighbor and all that jazz.

0 comments:

Contributors

Followers